Investigating dependency trees

I'm working on a very customized minimal install.
A selection criteria for top level applications will be how many packages will it pull in that are not used by other packages. A further optimization may be which packages automatically installed by Debian Installer are not needed by actual target audience.

Synaptic and dselect provide this information for *ONE* level down from a particular package *IF* an actual installation and repository exist.

All the information exists in "control" of "*.deb". For my purposes there is a lot of irrelevant information also. What I envision is a relational database containing the package name, Version, Depends, Suggests(doubtful), and Recommends(doubtful) fields.

How the data would be displayed in interactive mode - haven't decided yet.

In a "batch" mode I envision entering a list of "top level packages" and getting out a list of lower level packages required and how many (and which of) the "top level packages" required each.

Any suggestions of applications with similar goals?

TIA