Re: eth0 "disabled" after upgrade Squeeze to Wheezy

Thanks, Tom. :-)

On Friday 15 November 2013 15:29:00 Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I have just upgraded a client's computer to Wheezy.  It appeared
> > to go well and there was certainly an internet connection: it
> > would not have been able to upgrade otherwise!
> >
> > Now there is  none.  I have checked /etc/network/interfaces and
> > changed "allow-hotplug" to "auto", just for something to try. :-(
> >  It made no difference.  I pinged the gateway, largely so that I
> > could report that I had done so.  I got the error message
> > "Network is unreachable".
> >
> > KControl tells me that eth0 is "disabled".  How and why is it
> > disabled?  More importantly, **how do I enable it?**
>
> Has eth0 been renamed? What's the output of "ip a"?

# ifup -a
ifup: failed to open statefile /run/network/ifstate: No such file or
directory

I misread at first - but "ifup a" produces the same result.

> (Did you run "ifup -a" or "ifup eth0" after changing
> "allow-hotplug" to "auto"?)

Yes - and have restarted several times now. :-(

"ifconfig -a" shows eth0 and lo, neither of which has an IP.

I have checked hardware with a live CD, since it is not beyond the
bounds of possibility that the card could break coincidentally with
my finishing the upgrade.  But, not only is it fine, but the results
above suggest software not hardware.

I am now googling on the error mesage; but all help most welcome!

Lisi