Re: After installing systemd, slim fails to load desktop.

On 13/11/13 20:57, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Ma, 12 nov 13, 18:15:50, Just_Me wrote:
>> Slim freezes doing nothing. I had to use startx to start desktop.
>> slim.service is enabled btw.
>>
>> $ systemctl status slim
>>
>> slim.service - LSB: Start/stop the SLiM daemon.
>>    Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/slim)
>>    Active: active (running) since Wed 2013-11-13 08:40:04 UTC
>>    CGroup: name=systemd:/system/slim.service
>>            ├─977 /usr/bin/slim -d
>>            └─980 /usr/bin/X11/X -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/slim.auth vt07

scott@t22:~$ systemctl status slim
Failed to issue method call: Unit name slim is not valid.

> I seem to remember that only gdm, kdm and lightdm are able to work with
> latest technologies (was that PolicyKit?).

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=692148 ?

scott@t22:~$ systemctl status console-kit-log-system-start.service
console-kit-log-system-start.service - Console System Startup Logging
          Loaded: loaded
(/lib/systemd/system/console-kit-log-system-start.service; static)
          Active: active (exited) since Thu, 14 Nov 2013 00:38:02 +1100;
10min ago
         Process: 699 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ck-log-system-start
(code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
          CGroup: name=systemd:/system/console-kit-log-system-start.service

> This might be related so I'd
> suggest you try lightdm instead.

lightdm does (also) work with systemd - at least on this laptop using
Wheezy/backports i386

> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Just_Me should (maybe) also check to see if systemd-sysv is installed
(*backup* first).

I'm not sure why I was getting dbus errors earlier, could be the
x2goserver (which has a habit of segfaulting occasionally).

scott@t22:~$ systemctl list-units --type=target
UNIT                 LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    JOB DESCRIPTION
basic.target         loaded active active     Basic System
cryptsetup.target    loaded active active     Encrypted Volumes
getty.target         loaded active active     Login Prompts
graphical.target     loaded active active     Graphical Interface
local-fs-pre.target  loaded active active     Local File Systems (Pre)
local-fs.target      loaded active active     Local File Systems
multi-user.target    loaded active active     Multi-User
remote-fs-pre.target loaded active active     Remote File Systems (Pre)
remote-fs.target     loaded active active     Remote File Systems
sockets.target       loaded active active     Sockets
sound.target         loaded active active     Sound Card
swap.target          loaded active active     Swap
sysinit.target       loaded active active     System Initialization
syslog.target        loaded active active     Syslog

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
JOB    = Pending job for the unit.

14 units listed. Pass --all to see inactive units, too.

scott@t22:~$ systemd-analyze blame
 15629ms fail2ban.service
 11370ms x2goserver.service
  9449ms slim.service
  8931ms NetworkManager.service
  7960ms console-kit-daemon.service
  7462ms bootlogs.service
  7379ms ssh.service
  4877ms systemd-logind.service
  4107ms acpi-fakekey.service
  3545ms keyboard-setup.service
  3257ms cron.service
  2638ms lvm2.service
  2399ms atd.service
  2234ms anacron.service
  2006ms hdparm.service
  1446ms polkitd.service
  1402ms udev.service
  1392ms acpi-support.service
  1374ms networking.service
  1312ms saned.service
  1195ms sys-kernel-security.mount
  1126ms rpcbind.service
  1119ms dev-mqueue.mount
  1056ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
  1055ms dev-hugepages.mount
  1030ms run-lock.mount
  1022ms run-user.mount
   997ms screen-cleanup.service
   996ms systemd-modules-load.service
   875ms kbd.service
   874ms console-setup.service
   867ms cups.service
   789ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
   768ms alsa-utils.service
   565ms console-kit-log-system-start.service
   500ms nfs-common.service
   409ms udev-trigger.service
   322ms udisks.service
   313ms systemd-sysctl.service
   272ms systemd-user-sessions.service
   251ms motd.service
   238ms cryptsetup@sda5_crypt.service
   207ms systemd-remount-api-vfs.service
   171ms exim4.service
   159ms pppd-dns.service
   101ms boot.mount
    33ms remount-rootfs.service

scott@t22:~$ cat /usr/lib/systemd/user/default.target
[Unit]
Description=Default

scott@t22:~$ systemd-analyze time
Startup finished in 17115ms (kernel) + 27784ms (userspace) = 44899ms
(this is an old laptop)

Kind regards