Re: Questions about new hardware & Debian (or Linux in general)

On 13/11/13 15:21, Jon N wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM, Scott Ferguson
> <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ---<big snip>---
>>
>> Sorry, but UEFI isn't always implemented identically (it's dependant on
>> firmware). There are also some issues with installing Debian64 and UEFI.
>>
>> In every case I'm aware of it's possible to install Debian, but some
>> cases call for different approaches (GRUB2 or EFI stub) hence my
>> suggestion to focus on the specifics for the hardware you intend to use
>> - just to save you time and hassle.
>
> Well, there is always at least some small chance for a problem, but
> overall I feel fairly confident (hopefully not overly so).

No reason not to be. At least you are now aware that there is not one
approach that works for all implementations.

>  When I
> narrow down my choice to a specific motherboard I'll do a search for
> it and Linux, and maybe ask here before I purchase.

That'd be my suggestion. If you're lucky someone like Stan 'might'
suggest an alternative that provides better value for money, at the very
least someone will suggest an installation strategy that'll give you the
least headaches and hassle.

> Thanks,
> Jon
> .

With applications like mythTV you'll find choosing a particular
motherboard that's a favourite amongst that community will not only
ensure it "just works", but that in the long run it will continue to be
well supported.

Other factors will be value for money i.e. not duplicating video card
functionality in the tv tuner (or on the mb), not buying a board with a
NIC/s, video, or sound builtin that you won't use (e.g. if you plan on
duplicating those functions in cards or externals (USB sound etc).
You'll then be able to match the mb with the best PS for the job (not to
big or noisy) and be advised if the board will not be too crowded with
the cards you do intend to put into it - that's important if the device
is going to store all your movies, render, and serve - and you want it
to be silent.

Will you be using a remote control? Will it have builtin support for IR?
Does it need a special case? etc.

Kind regards.