Re: harddrive spins down and up again after 5s

> On 11/11/2013 7:42 AM, patrick wrote:
> > shouldnt gvfs show up in mount?
> > also, it looks like gvfs is pretty essential to gnome 3, how much work
> > did you do to create a replacement packet?

I'm a Xfce user and can remove it, because it's not a hard dependency.
For thunar it's recommended http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/thunar
and for nautilus it's a hard dependency
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/nautilus .

On another distro I'm using, the packages nemo and mate-file-manager
(caja) come with a hard dependency, both file managers are similar to
nautilus.

gvfs is needed for GNOME 2, GNOME 3, Cinnamon, Mate and Xfce to
automatically show devices, IOW USB sticks, hard disks that aren't
mounted by fstab, DVD's and even the Trash icon. If you remove gvfs you
need to mount those devices by another way. Perhaps by an udev rule. I'm
doing it by command line, using a script to mount and unmount by label.

Very seldom I'm using the mouse for file managing. If I delete a file in
thunar, it's deleted, if I delete a file on the Xfce Desktop it's moved
to Trash.

$ touch xfce_desktop_file

deleted by mouse

$ ls ~/.local/share/Trash/files/
xfce_desktop_file

But even for this you could make a launcher for
'rm -r ~/.local/share/Trash/'.

Building a dummy package might take not much more than a minute.

# equivs-control gvfs

Than edit the generated file.

     Package: gvfs
     Version: 2013.11.12-1