Re: [OT?] What's wrong with my exim4 configuration?

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 08:28:31AM +0200, Itay wrote:
> I don't understand why ':25' is appended, and what is the meaning of
> that.

There are a number of things I want to reply to in this thread. So,
I'm going to do this in each relevant message, since that will be
easier for me. Apologies if the bunch of replies to the same thread
annoys anyone.

To answer your question, exim was appending :25 because you specified
the port to use with one colon instead of two. So, exim was using the
default smtp port which is 25, to send the message. Port 25 should be
used these days only when two official mail servers for a domain are
sending mail to one another. You might be able to use port 25 to talk
to a smarthost, but this isn't recommended, since either your ISP
blocks outbound tcp 25 (which seems to be the case for you), or mail
servers will refuse to accept mail from you if you have a dynamic IP
address (which is what my server does among many others).

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc