Re: Why Debian

On Mon, 2013-11-11 at 11:11 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> If one is managing systems where a LOT (even most, or all) software is
> built from source - is Debian still the best distribution.  Is there a
> better distro for managing source-based in installs from upstream (and
> I'm not talking Gentoo, where Portage is a packaging system for source
> code - I'm talking semi-automatic management and updates from upstream
> source.  Any thoughts?

Arch Linux, it has a binary package management like Debian has got and
build ports like FreeBSD has got and a so called user repository with
packagebuilds, that easily can be modified by the user. Those three
systems don't conflict with each other, they are all handled by the same
management, pacman. Arch packages are much easier to build than debs.
Another advantage for this kind of Linux usage of Arch Linux over Debian
is, that it usually follows upstream for the names and the packages are
not split. FWIW much software that isn't available for Debian, is
available for Arch Linux by binaries, usually Arch Linux versions are
current stable releases from upstream, which very seldom has got an
unwanted side effect, IOW the most stable Linux I ever run is Arch
Linux, Debian, Ubuntu and Suse for my usage are less stable and provide
less binary packages. It's only important to read the homepage before
doing upgardes, since it's a rolling release, a real rolling release, it
has no versions as Debian has got, but to keep it stable a testing
repository.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Compared_to_Other_Distributions#Debian_GNU.2FLinux
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_Arch_Linux_Install_Guide
https://www.archlinux.org/ ( https://www.archlinux.de/ )

One semi automation (to update binaries and) AUR packagebuilds (source
from upstream, no binary) is to use yaourt.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/yaourt