Re: /etc/fstab question

Hi,

On 11/10/2013 05:28 PM, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> Le 10.11.2013 18:06, Richard Owlett a écrit :
>> Will doing "chmod -R 777 /owlett" allow all users of any Debian
>> install having the edited /etc/fstab have unrestricted access to all
>> files and folders on that partition?
>>
>> TIA
>
> It will, but remember that it will also allow them to change file
> permissions, and so to remove rights to other users.
>
> In my opinion, if you want such kind of partition, the easier solution
> is to use a partition system which does not have the user right feature.
> The first one which comes to my mind, is the FAT family. Since you
> seems to use ext2, you anyway do not have the log feature ( the thing
> which avoid corrupted files in case of a problem ) so I only see the
> drawback of file names not doing difference between uppercase and
> lowercase characters.
> But, still IMO, this one is more a drawback of ext* partition tables
> than of FAT, since it is not really natural for me and people I know
> to differentiate words by the case of their letters*. On the other
> hand, since you spoke about icons and graphical stuff, I bet that your
> users are not console users, so they won't be that annoyed.
>
> *: and if someone have any clue to allow my terminal to stop bothering
> me with that damned case difference in file names, I would really be
> grateful to know it. For now, I simply stop using case when naming
> files, but it is less readable and is not applicable to other people's
> files...

I tried something similar - without the mount point in /etc/fstab - and
found the best options was to create a folder with user=someuser
group=somegroup and add the users to that group, and assure the file
permissions for group were rw.
In /etc/fstab i believe you can specify, in the filesystem option, the
owner or the group of the mount point.

--

Bandarra
LiCo #544119

"Enjoy while you can 'cos you'll never know when it'll end"