Re: disk cloning ?

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 04:46:07AM -0800, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> I needed to clone my disk to another hard drive . I did it as the following :
> #dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc
> But after a while, the procedure ended with the "writing to /dev/sdc
> input/output error" message.

So your new disk is bad. Bad may include "has a faulty sector which the
system is having trouble writing to" to "is too small for the image".

In the case of the former, try adding "conv=noerror" to the dd command
and bear in mind that that will produce an incomplete (but either
useless or useful, depending on your intent) clone.

> Can you please let me know how can I overcome this as the fdisk now returns as "
> #fdisk /dev/sdc
> "I do not know how to handle files with mode 81a4
> must set cylinders"

So, either the error occurred while writing the partition table or the
new disk is also failing to read data.

> What can I do at know ?
> In the meantime, if I want to format the target hard disk to have a
> fresh disk , can you please let me know how to do that ?

If you're going to be writing to the whole disk (/dev/sdc), then
formatting is pointless: you'll only overwrite the work that the
formatting did.

Better to try smartctl/badblocks/etc to test the health of the new drive
first.