Re: Why Debian

On Friday 08 November 2013 17:57:44 Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> Which are the very important reasons why do you prefer Debian over
> Ubuntu?

I know it will sound silly, but one of the reasons that I don't use
Ubuntu is that I simply don't like it.  This is much more at a gut
level and instinctive than a thought out reaction.

<Warning: tl:dr>
I have tried to come to terms with it: there are those who love it, so
there must be something to it.  My initial reaction was, I am sure,
initiated by my reaction to the ghastly colour.  This is not a good
reason for disliking a distro, but it certainly affected my initial
reaction.

Then it never worked for me.  Debian, I could just install and it Just
Worked®.  Ubuntu and the other *buntus were a pain to install.  They
started out by refusing to work on my video set-up and moved on from
there.  I was told that of course it worked; all I had to do was
tweak this, adjust the other and tinker with this.  Erm.... Why?  Why
should I lay up problems for myself by using a distro that I do not
even like?

I said to one afficionado that Ubuntu didn't like me.  He said that
Ubuntu would never love me until I first loved it.

Well, I don't love it and I am happy without it.

I approved of it enormously when Mark Shuttleworth first set it up.
But I didn't and don't like the result.  I don't like the ethos.  I
don't like the constant instability.  It releases buggy software, and
by the time some of the bugs have been ironed out it is time for the
next release.  I acknowledge that they have recently done something
about this.  But I dislike the ethos more not less.

Debian, I love.  It can be all things to all men (or women!).  It is
stable, or unstable and bang up to date, as I choose.  I like the
ethos.  I like the community.  I like the quality of the help
available and freely given.  This is evidenced by the fact that we
often get Ubuntu users coming onto the Debian list to ask for help.

And I like the quality of the distro and all the other available
software in the repositories.  I was sad when they took all non-free
software out of the installer, because it is necessary to install
network drivers before doing a net install:  that applies to newer
Ethernet cards as well as to wireless ones.  I rapidly realised,
however, that there is a very simple solution.  I open the box,
insert an old ethernet card, do my network installation, load the
drivers for the card(s) belonging to the box, remove the old card.

So far I have never had a serious problem with Debian and hardware,
even though my husband and I have new computers, and his was bang up
to date when I bought it.  He also wanted Old Stable, and I could
still get his box to work.  All the problems that Google and the FM
couldn't solve, this list has helped with.

A distro is a lot of things.  It is an operating system, a community,
an attitude to life.  I like all of those in Debian.  Moreover, the
commercial winds cannot blow cold and blow Debian away.
</warning>

Lisi