Re: Weird boot problem. How can this be?

On 11/09/2013 06:08 AM, didier gaumet wrote:

The machine is an Asus Sabertooth X79 motherboard, IA64 "Sandy Bridge"
architecture,
[...]

On the Asus website, this is not an IA64 motherboard, but a X86-64
(amd64) one. Trying an amd64 version of Debian could help...

On the ASUS website the board has an Intel Chipset with LGA 2011 CPU socket:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X79/#overview

LGA 2011 is compatible with Intel 64-bit processors including "Sandy Bridge:"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2011

And that seemed to clinch it, except that the damn thing wasn't working, so I
went to a third source and discovered why I was wrong:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/amd64

The news to me is that INTEL ever deigned to release something whose instruction
set is commonly known as AMD-anything.  I've been assuming that "Intel 64" would
be "IA64" instruction set and "AMD 64" would be "AMD64" instruction set.  So...

You're right.  I shouldn't have said "IA64" in the first place, to describe
either of the machines this is from.  I should have said "Intel 64-bit processor"
which I had been assuming was the same thing.  More to the point I should not have
downloaded the IA64 images.

Thank  you.

				Ray