Re: Thinkpad T61 Critical temperature reached (103 C), shutting down

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Tom Grace
<lists-in@deathbycomputers.co.uk> wrote:
> On 13/08/13 10:02, Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
>>
>> After a lot of googling, I decided to tear down the laptop, expose the
>> cooling fan and give it a good vacuum job to get rid of any dust that
>> might have accumulated and was possibly interfering with the CPU
>> cooling.  I assembled all the pieces, rebooted and re-run the rsync
>> copy command which this time ran to completion without overheating.
>
> You might want to try some canned air on the heatsync attached to the CPU
> fan, or making sure the laptop is near some aircon etc.
>

>> root@curiosity:~# echo "level disengaged" > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
>> -bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument
>> root@curiosity:~# echo "level 7" > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
>> -bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument
>
> Did you first load the ibm acpi module with the fan_control argument ?
> rmmod thinkpad_acpi
> modprobe thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1
>
> I had the same issue with my thinkpad, and wrote this [1] to work around it,
> though in the end canned air was the proper solution.
>
> [1] https://github.com/theothertom/thinkpad-temp_mon
>

> --

I hadn't loaded the thinkpad_acpi module with the fan_control
argument. Done that and I'm now able to set the fan speed. Many thanks
for that.

I've followed the instructions at
https://github.com/theothertom/thinkpad-temp_mon and no sooner had I
began testing in a another terminal, the laptop shutdown but strangely
without any heavy lifting tasks running in the background.

Message from syslogd@curiosity at Aug 13 14:42:12 ...
kernel:[23090.974571] Critical temperature reached (103 C), shutting down.
Broadcast message from root@curiosity (Tue Aug 13 14:42:12 2013):
The system is going down for system halt NOW!

Regarding the canned air solution, is it a one-off job to clean out
the CPU heat sink or is it for a continuous circulation of air
directly over the heat sink?

--

Many thanks,
Alphonse