Re: fsck on boot...revisited

Hi Tim,

Back to the original question(s), how can I make this the most robust system (not of all time, but in this use case scenario), both in data integrity and ability to fully boot?

I'd set up a system that boots from a read only file system that is all set up to run the services you need. For the sake of simplicity you could use overlayfs or aufs to offer a writable rootfs to the system, just like all the Linux Live CDs do, where all changes to the file system go to RAM and are lost on power loss. As the real root file system is mounted ro, it is never written to and can't get corrupted. In case you need to do local logging you could create a separate partition on your HDD which you mount rw. Then, even if this partition gets totally wrecked your system will still boot up perfectly fine on power loss, so you can connect to it and fix the problems. If you have a reliable network connection, you don't even need that rw logging partition, although it is usually nice to have some persistent storage.

- Simon