Re: upgrade to linux-image-3.9.1 breaks nvidia proprietary driver

On Sb, 22 iun 13, 19:02:20, CHK Webmaster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I write here cause I'm not sure where report this issue. It happens when
> upgrading my system via apt-get. The upgrade includes
> linux-image-3.9.1-amd64 but does not include nvidia-kernel-3.9.1-amd64
> in which depends the nvidia proprietary driver.

Well, it's amazing that there even are nvidia-kernel-<version> packages
in testing and unstable. These used to be built only near releases.

> So the result was a X system breaks, that cannot be loaded cause X.org
> not found the nvidia module. The issue can be solved installing manually
> the related nvidia-kernel package.

Well, on testing and unstable you are expected to be able to watch out
for such things. Besides, nvidia and related packages are mostly
non-free, so they don't have the same priority as free packages do.

It might be better, easier for you to install the nvidia-kernel-dkms
package and make sure you have the matching kernel headers installed,
e.g. by installing linux-image-amd64 and linux-headers-amd64. I expect
those metapackages to be updated at the same time, but you won't be able
to update to the latest & greatest kernel as soon as it is available,
you'll have to wait until the metapackage pulls it.

Kind regards,
Andrei