Re: Introductory reading on firewall/iptables/etc for new Debian user?

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Ma, 23 apr 13, 10:06:18, Richard Owlett wrote:
Dan Ritter wrote:

By the way, you have an unusually brusque way of stating
conditions rather than asking questions, which comes across as
slightly rude.

Apologies, I've just been chastised by relatives and friends for
going in the other direction.
I was trying to make clear I want only minimal connectivity.

You probably already know this, but...

Kind regards,
Andrei

I don't believe I've seen that particular FAQ before, but have read others addressing the same issue.

Part of the problem is when there is a clash of recommended practices.
	"Volume is not precision"
	"Describe the goal, not the step"
"Describe the research you did to try and understand the problem before you asked the question."

Part of the problem is that *nix is not an ideal fit to what I wish to accomplish [Its multi-user/tasking nature seems to create as many problems as it solves]. However Linux (specifically the Debian flavor) offers the breadth of tools and user acceptance required. A similar problem is described in "How different is Ubuntu from Debian?" {http://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser ;}