Re: How to create a i386 deb from rpm on an amd64 system

Johann Spies wrote:
I want to convert iscan rpm (an Epson scanner driver) to a deb. This driver only works on i386 systems.

I have installed multiarch on my system but it seems that there is no alien that can do the job on my system.

Alternatively, I have an old deb of this package but dpkg complains there is a duplicate 'Architecture' line in the control file. Using mc I could copy the control file from the package to /tmp/ and edit it, but I could not put it back. How can I correct the control file in the debian package?

These are my notes from 3 years ago when that happened to me:

HOWTO eliminate the duplicate Architecture field:
Create a package directory (say /mc_4.6.2-2)
then: dpkg-deb -x mc_4.6.2~git20080311-4_i386.deb /mc_4.6.2-2
then: dpkg-deb -e mc_4.6.2~git20080311-4_i386.deb /mc_4.6.2-2
Move the files from the latter into a dir named ‘DEBIAN’
Edit the control file in DEBIAN and delete the second Architecture field.
then: dpkg-deb -b /mc_4.6.2-2
This will create mc_4.6.2-2.deb
dpkg -i mc_4.6.2-2.deb

Hugo