Re: Don't do that!

Le Mar 23 avril 2013 19:00, Kelly Clowers a écrit :
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Today I learnt this: Do NOT use ext4 for the /boot partition, where
>> your kernel resides.
>>
>> I did this on my EEEPC to speed up boot, and today I got at boot the
>> error message: initrd.img corrupt. My EEEPC has got an ssd inside and
>> /usr, /home
>> and /var are encrypted partitions.
>>
>> It took me hours and hours to fix this. First I tried ext2fs, with no
>> success. I could run Trinity Rescue Kit from a sd card, and I created a
>> chroot, but not all was possible to do in the chroot.
>>
>> After lots of tries I got the solution:
>>

>> 1. I backuped all the content of /boot to another drive.
>> 2. Booted with a livefile and formatted /boot to ext2.
>> 3. Restored /boot
>> 4. Edited /etc/fstab, removed the UUID of /boot and removed
>> disacard,noatime 5. Now I could boot again.
>> 6. From the running system started "update-initramfs -u"
>> 7. Did "dpkg-reconfigure linux-base", so I got the UUID in all necessary
>> config files again. 8. For making all sure. did "update-grub"
>> 9. Finally test, rebooted again, everything was ok.
>>

>> So NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use ext4 for /boot! Don't do it!
>> (If I would have read the manual, I should have known, ext4 and grub is
>> still in experimental state)
>>

> My /boot is just part of root, and it is ext4. Never had any issue.
> If I did have a separate /boot partition, I would use ext2 or 3 or 4
> with out the journal, since it would eat up a bit of space on a small
> partition. But that is it.
>
> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers

Agree, I did the same.
Just, I've added the noatime on /boot, since there is really no use to
write time at each access. To speed up things.

Now, I'm using an ext2, since there is no interest into using other
features on a partition I only write on when there is a kernel change.
Want to have faster stuff? Take one with less features.

Note that I use ext4 for all my partitions (except tmp and boot, of
course, since an advanced FS for them is useless. I also often set some
other flags, since some are only useful on /) since 2 years, and never had
any problem.

Well, I must also say to be complete that I have never used encrypted
stuff until now.