Re: administration of initscripts

Thilo Six wrote:
> Subject: administration of initscripts
> ...in debian has been no pleasure for some time now.

Sorry to hear that.  Why not?

> Well the reason i write this, is i found a solution that works for me which i
> would like to share with you.

Thank you for sharing.

> Following goals had been set:
> 1) Do not clash with existing system tools.
>    It is notably that it has even been said on debian-devel, that update-rc.d
>    is a API for developers only and not even been considered to be used by
>    administrators (search for it).

It is designed to be used by packages during postinst and postrm.  A
mechanism for automated install and uninstall.  Not really something
you type in at the command line.  But nothing stops you from typing it
in at the command line.  It just isn't designed for it.  It is
designed for the package automation.

> 2) Upgrade of packages shall be handled correctly.
>    When a service is disabled, do not reactivate it on package upgrades.

Good!

> gentoo has a rather nice API for an administrator to handle
> initscripts s.th. i always missed in debian. So i modelled this
> solution somewhat after the gentoo API.

I have been using Debian for many years now.  In all of that time  I
have never wanted to "manage" init scripts.  I always wonder.  What
are people trying to do?

What is more complicated than this.  If you want it then install it.
If you don't want it then remove or purge it.  With those two commands
all management is handled automatically.

And therefore I must ask.  What more management do you need?  Anything
else is truly unusual.

This doesn't mean there isn't a valid case for different run levels.
There are.  I have just never needed them myself.  So I am seriously
interested in the question.

Why do you feel different runlevels are useful?  Please say a few
words about how you use them to good effect.  Thanks.

> As you can see these rc-update() is a wrapper around insserv and _rc-update()
> provides tab-completion. Details can be read in insserv(8).

I very much like the fact that you are working with the system and
with insserv.  That is awesome!  Everything should work nicely with
the system that way.

Bob