Re: Starting Iceweasel

On 04/11/2013 12:41 AM, Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
> Dear list -
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> Finally, I can start Iceweasel from the command line [sort of]:
> iceweasel -no-remote localhost/choice.php width $1280 height $800
>
> The above works.
>
> But ... in a store.desktop multiple windows are opened.
>
> #!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=Store Program
> <snip>
> Exec=iceweasel -no-remote localhost/choice.php width $1280 height $800
> Terminal=false
> X-MultipleArgs=false
> Type=Application
> Icon=iceweasel
> Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
> MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;
>
> StartupWMClass=Firefox-bin
> StartupNotify=true
>
> =========
> FYI Iceweasel is NOT running when I issue the command or click on the
> icon.
>
> TIA
>
> Ethan
>
> PS
> The suggestions on migrating icedove to Thunderbird look excellent.
>
> I'm reasonably good at three things at one time, but six is a little
> much.  As soon as I can climb out of the hole I am in, I'll do the
> migration and give a detailed answer.

I've got 3 instances of the .desktop file
 locate iceweasel.desktop
/home/jack/.local/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/iceweasel.desktop
/usr/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop

My local version looks like this -
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Iceweasel

<snip>other language versions of "Name=" </snip>

Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
<snip>other language versions of "Comment=" </snip>

GenericName=Web Browser
<snip>other language versions of "GenericName=" </snip>

X-GNOME-FullName=Iceweasel Web Browser
<snip>other language versions of "X-GNOME-FullName=" </snip>

Exec=iceweasel %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=iceweasel
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vn
d.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;i
mage/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;
StartupWMClass=Firefox-bin
StartupNotify=true

Other than the titles (which I'm assuming is in the snip section of your
post), the only difference I saw is that iceweasel is started with '%u'
where yours does not.

Also, is that a .local form of the desktop file or is it being stored
somewhere else (if the local and installed versions are different, the
local file takes precedence afaik).

--
Regards

Jack
Boston Tea Party, Coercive Acts, Powder Alarm, Revolution
Lessons (Mistakes) not learned are bound to be repeated.