Re: Sound Problem -- More Information

On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 23:40:49 +1300
Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 01:59:40PM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> >

> > Begin forwarded message:
> >
> > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 11:22:48 -0400
> > From: "Stephen P. Molnar" <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net>
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: Sound Problem
> >

> > 64 bit Debian Wheezy/Testing.  I had to reinstall the OS duer to a
> > HD failure.  Sound worked prior to that.
> >
> > computation@abnormal:~$ aplay -l
> > **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
> > card 0: Solo1 [ESS ES1938 (Solo-1)], device 0: es-1938-1946 [ESS
> > Solo-1] Subdevices: 2/2
> >   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> >   Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
> >

> > When I run speaker-test I get the following:
> >
> > computation@abnormal:~$ sudo speaker-test
> > [sudo] password for computation:
> >
> > speaker-test 1.0.25
> >
> > Playback device is default
> > Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
> > Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> > Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
> > Buffer size range from 32 to 16384
> > Period size range from 32 to 16384
> > Using max buffer size 16384
> > Periods = 4
> > was set period_size = 4096
> > was set buffer_size = 16384
> >  0 - Front
> > Left Write error: -5,Input/output
>
> TL;DR -- too much information.
>
> Run all commands as root, this will stop permission errors obscuring
> results. I don't mean using sudo, either.
>
> Get out of X before running "speaker-test" That xruns error comes from
> X?
>
> Can you try from a live CD, hopefully, rule out hardware (or
> software!)
>
> Are you sure your card does not require firmware?

Thanks for your reply.  Actually, I had run the tests that I reported
as root as well as sudo and got the same response = no sound.

However, I started to rerun the tests, as per your suggestion, and
miraculously, sound started working! Now, from a scientific viewpoint,
I believe in serendipity, but not in miracles.  However, I willing to
accept the fact that the speaker in now generating intelligible sound.

Ping works, as does the sound in a browser. Pink noise generated in
speaker-test is a roaring hiss, not the sound that I get when I access
pink noise in youtube. I can accept that because I subscribe to the
adage that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', and the lesser spoken
corollary 'If it ain't broke, fix it it it will be'. There is a problem
with Skype. The speaker works, but the microphone doesn't.  I do have a
clue. Before the HD crash and subsequent installation of the OS on the
new HD the microphone setting (that worked allowing a video call) was:

USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio (hw:2,0)

Now, in the reinstalled Skype version, that worked before, on the new
OS. there are a number of audio settings, the one most similar to the
one that worked is:

USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio (hw:1,0)

note the only difference.  The question becomes, how do I change
(hw:1,0) to (hw:2.0?

Thanks in advance.
--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.		Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry		Stochastic and multivariate