Re: Squeeze X86 with 4GByte RAM?

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:23:25 +0200
Gábor Hársfalvi <hgabi84@gmail.com> wrote:

> try find options about big memory, PAE in the BIOS -> After
> installing RAM at first I saw in BIOS and it looked all of 4096MByte.
> So what about BIOS?
>
> How could I see what is in the kernel - Bigmem and PAE? As I wrote I
> installed and tried "Linux 2.6.32 for PCs with 4GB+ RAM"
> "linux-image-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem" Package.

I too use x86 for the odd non-repo software, however I have a machine
with 4Gb of Ram and 3.5Gb shown in bios yet only around 3 Gb usable.
I have tried multiple OS and never have the full RAM available.

I have put it down to a rather crap BIOS as non of the BIOS options
make any difference.

p.s. The main case that eats the ram is usually virtualbox. In that case
adding sysctl vm.swappiness=0 to rc.local makes a big difference.