Re: SSDT - Any more ideas??

On Sun, 2013-03-17 at 00:16 -0400, Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
> On 03/16/2013 05:40 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Hi Ethan :)
> >
> > 1. In your position, I would follow the advice to reset the BIOS
> >     settings.
> > 2. Can you run the Parted Magic live media?
> >     http://sourceforge.net/projects/partedmagic/files/partedmagic/
> >     Or a similar light weight Linux live media?
> >
> > OT:
> > On Sat, 2013-03-16 at 20:25 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >
> >> And I cannot be the only one whose email client is set not to read HTML.
> >> Ethan would get more eyeballs, and therefore a larger pool of potential help,
> >> if he posted in plain text.
> >
> > I'm able and willing to read HTML, even if IMO HTML for emails is
> > obsolet. HTML for emails was a valid experiment, to test if comfortable
> > text formatting could be provided. The experiment failed, HTML for
> > emails comes with more drawbacks, than advantages. We still have enough
> > issues without HTML and shouldn't add extra-issues. The formatting of
> > this thread even for HTML was über-disgusting.
> >

> Lisi -
>
> HTML is the Icedove default. Now disabled.
>
> Ralf -
>
> Reset BIOS.  No Change.
>
> . Can you run the Parted Magic live media?
>  >     http://sourceforge.net/projects/partedmagic/files/partedmagic/
>  >     Or a similar light weight Linux live media?
>  > YES
>
> See  my other answers in my email to Mark Neidorf.
>
> Ethan

Hi Ethan :)

I don't use Icedove, but there for sure are 2 important options.

1. It must be possible that you switch to plain text for mails by
   default.
2. It's very likely that there is an option to automatically reply to
   the mailing list only.

For the future it's important that you take care about this, but at the
moment don't worry about it, lets first try to find out what's wrong
with your laptop.

I don't think that you need a new BIOS version, a new version might have
less bugs, but even a buggy version should enable to at least run
Windows on that machine.

Install a new BIOS, because it might be broken. Perhaps the memory for
the BIOS is broken.

On my machine I experienced very strange errors, when the battery was
weak, even when there were no messages about an empty battery. I'm not
thinking about the rechargeable battery of your laptop, but about a
CR2032, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CR2032_battery .

Those batteries are that inexpensive, that in a case of doubt, it should
be replaced. I know it's not very nice regarding to environmentalism,
but the battery could cause issues. You don't need to throw away the old
battery, if it shouldn't be weak, but anyway, test what happens, if you
replace the battery.

Regards,
Ralf