Re: using microphone

On 16/03/13 09:47 AM, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
Hello.

I am trying to use my microphone (with skype and mumble) but was not able to make it working. I tried all entries in the fields to select input, but no results every time. I have removed the mute in alsamixer and the micro works correctly. I mean, if I speak in it, I can hear my own voice stronger, so it probably works (but there is an echo for a reason I do not know. This will be annoying if it persists, but my first goal is to be able to use the micro, annoying things I can fix later).

In mumble and skype, when trying to select input device, I have a long list rather unreadable for me, with info like card=SB (I guess it means SoundBlaster), DEV=0 or DEV=2 (related to /dev? There are 2 files in /dev/snd/by-path?) and only skeakers/converters/null... but nothing related to microphone AFAIU.

The thing I really can not understand is why I have 2 sounds cards (also in /proc/asound/cards) but I have not added any in my computer (the only related NVidia stuff I have are graphic cards) so I wonder why there are 2 of them (and I am afraid by the NVidia one, to be honest).

snipped content
I think this message may lack informations, but I have no idea about what I can give except those one...

OK, so you've established that your microphone is working. You don't normally want to hear your voice back when you speak into it, so mute the microphone output (but not the input). You should be able to use the sound recorder to still record your voice and play it back but you won't hear it when speaking.

Skype has a pulldown menu at the bottom left of the skype window. Select Options | Sound Devices and try the different microphone devices until you find one that works with the Skype test call.