Re: Wheezy amd64 XFCE how to burn Blu-Ray (BD-R )discs?

Hi,

being developer of libburn i would like to correct some technical
statements made here.

Gary Dale wrote:

> The difference between Blu-ray and DVD is that DVD is a super CD
> while Blu-ray is a super DVD-RAM.

BD-RE are like DVD-RAM, indeed.
But BD-R aren't. One can format them to a state called Pseudo
Overwrite (POW). But that is an escalation of Defect Management,
which does not work convincingly to my experience.

Writing by a specialized burn program to plain unformatted BD-R
still works best and fastest.

Not all DVD types resemble giant CD. DVD+R and DVD+RW are quite
different. Not to speak of hunchbacked DVD-RAM.

> Your file manager is all the GUI you need to "burn" a BD-R/RE.

This might be true for BD-RE, but not for BD-R.

Nevertheless the random-access performance of BD-RE is weak.
So i would not use them for a read-write filesystem.
ISO 9660 written as stream works fine with them.

My own experiences with writing to UDF on mounted optical
media are repelling: the poor drive makes awful noises and the
extreme expansion of i/o buffers nearly lets the desktop freeze.

So it is preferrable to fill all optical media by a sequential
stream of data rather than by random-access.
E.g. by creating an UDF image on hard disk, mounting it, filling
it with files, unmounting, and then burning it to BD by help of
a burn program.

I am normally using my own command line program xorriso for
burning to BD media (two BD-R and two BD-RE are in daily use).
libburn also serves underneath frontends like Brasero, xfburn,
FlBurn.

If those frontends are not aware of BD media, then their developers
are invited to ask me for advise how to make use of libburn's
capability to handle them.

But first one should give their newest versions a try.

> I can understand CD-R to distinguish it from CD-ROM, but that
> really should be CD-W because both CD-R and CD-ROM are readable.

CD-R means "Compact Disc Recordable".
CD-RW means "Compact Disc ReWritable".

I rather wonder why BD-R is not "BD+R" and BD-RE is not "BD-RAM".
Thechnically these would be the natural names derived from the DVD
nomenclature.

Well, its all about marketing and trademark licenses.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas