Re: has your squeeze ever crashed?

On Wed, 2013-03-13 at 09:52 -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > Long Wind wrote:
> >>
> >> linux is stable, or is it?
> >> flash player
> >

> > Linux is stable and flash player isn't Linux, flash player development for
> > Linux already is dropped, there will be no future versions for Linux. If
> > people want Microsoft/Apple, regarding to Apple flash player is a bad
> > example ;), they should use Microsft/Apple. Linux is an OS for itself, not a
> > Replacement-OS for other OS. It's a misconception.
> >
> > If you need flash player, then Linux isn't a good choice for your needs.
>
> That is not remotely true. I hate Flash, but I need it. Linux works
> great for my needs for many years now.

"NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux
as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security
backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux." -
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

All my old Linux installs including Debian had and have the proprietary
flash player installed and it never caused any issues, ok, sometimes it
didn't work, but my Linux were never locked by flash player. I didn't
install it for my current Arch Linux and it's not only that I can live
without it, on some websites it's an improvement, when it isn't
installed.

Unfortunately some people need flash player, they've got no choice. A
Linux user who needs Flash perhaps could try to run future versions in
wine or on Win in a virtual machine, but for Linux it's dropped. Kelly,
I'm sure you know this, I guess it's a misunderstanding. Again, I used
it myself, Gnash never could replace it for me.

It's just a fact, that Linux isn't a replacement for users who have
averaged Microsoft needs. In the past there were real replacements, e.g.
I used DR-DOS, a replacement for MS-DOS, but Linux is an individual OS
that isn't a replacement. IMO it's important to make this clear. We can
make a Linux look like Windows, but under the surface it has nothing in
common with Windows.

I'm nor talking to you Kelly ;), you perhaps has got more know how about
Linux than I've got, but people new to Linux, especially the people who
switched from Windows, should be aware about this.

Linux doesn't replace Windows. Linux is for users who usually have
different needs, than Win users have got.

2 Cents,
Ralf