display issues

Debian 6.0.7
gdm3
LG Flatron monitor model W2253VP

My display is skewed to the right about 1/4 inch.  While in a terminal
window, I run sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and it comes back to the
prompt after about two seconds.

I rebooted and logged into root terminal and the same results occur.  I
tried running Xorg configure and I get the following message:

Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.

I have only one monitor hooked up.  The monitor works fine in Mint 12.

Also, there isn't an xorg.conf file under /etc/X11.  I copied the xorg.conf
file from the Mint partition but all I got was a blank screen so I deleted
the file.

Michael