Re: cannot uninstall linux-image-2.6.32-5-686

David Zelinsky wrote:
I just did an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' from the lasted squeeze update, and
failed to notice it had decided to install a stock kernel image:
linux-image-2.6.32-5-686_2.6.32-48squeeze1.  I did not want this, since
I'm using a custom kernel, and I'm not sure the stock kernel will even
work.  Worse, the linux-image package did not install properly, with
some part of the post-install script returning errors (zz-update-grub).
The rest of the dist-upgrade appeared to succeed, but the
linux-image-2.6.32-5-686 package is in a half-installed state.

I tried removing the offending package ("apt-get remove") but got the
same error from the post-remove script.

How can I fix this?  I want the linux-image package to go away, and also
to make sure 'apt-get dist-upgrade' will not try to install it in the
future.

Here's relevant part of the output from apt-get dist-upgrade:

<snip>
what happens if you 'dpkg -P linux-image-2.6.32-5-686'

Hugo