Re: Iceweasel and chromium stable and secure versions

On 2013-03-06 04:39 +0100, Steven Rosenberg wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 2013-02-28 18:18 +0100, Henry Jensen wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed that chromium got updated to the newest stable and secure
>>> version 25.0.1364.97. Can we expect that Chromium will receive further
>>> updates in the future during the lifetime of Debian 7.0, perhaps as
>>> part of the Update-Repository (formerly known as volatile)?
>>
>> It is planned to regularly push new upstream versions of Chromium into
>> Debian 7.0, AFAIK as security updates.
>>
>>> And what about Iceweasel. Upstream Firefox 10.x is EOL now.
>>
>> Iceweasel will get security support, but no new major versions.  If you
>> want those, look on http://mozilla.debian.net/.
>

> That's a nice compromise. I remember Chromium getting mighty old in
> the Lenny days.

Oh, you misremember. ;-)  Chromium was never included in Lenny, it only
hit Debian in 2010.  The "mighty old" version is in Squeeze, it has been
abandoned for ~1.5 years (last security update is from September 2011).

Looking at the latest build log[1], I doubt that Chromium will be
supportable on i386 in the Wheezy time frame.  The memory requirements
for linking it are likely to increase further in the future.

Cheers,
       Sven

1. https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=chromium-browser