Re: Wheezy RC1 - Installing python:i386 on amd64 machine

On 2013-03-03 22:36 +0100, nir izraeli wrote:

> I've been trying to install python2.7:i386 on an amd64 machine (i require
> it for another piece closed-source software that only has 32 bit support),
> and i'm having trouble doing that.

You cannot really do that, I'm afraid.

> Since im using Wheezy RC1 i'm aware of the possibility that there's no
> solution available but i'd like to avoid installing native 32 bit OS
> because i need the extra RAM and performance.
> Also, debian 6 AFAIK only has python2.6 packages (with which i have
> other dependency issues)
>
> I'd like any suggestion i can get...

Set up an i386 chroot and install python2.7 and your application there.
The schroot package makes using such a setup relatively painless.

> user@vmdeb:~$ su -c "apt-get install python2.7:i386"
> Password:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  python2.7:i386 : Depends: mime-support:i386 but it is not installable
> user@vmdeb:~$ su -c "apt-get install mime-support:i386"
> Password:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package mime-support:i386 is not available, but is referred to by another
> package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
>
> E: Package 'mime-support:i386' has no installation candidate

The problem is that mime-support is an Architecture:all package, but not
marked as "Multi-Arch: foreign", so it does not fulfill dependencies of
packages from foreign architectures.  For details, see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=695357.

With the mime-support package in experimental, you should be
theoretically able to install python2.7:i386, but since that package is
not "Multiarch: foreign" either, many packages which depend on python2.7
(or just python) become uninstallabe, so this is not really an option.

Cheers,
       Sven