Re: Installation failed - and failed again...

On 2013/3/2 3:36 PM, Brian wrote:> On Sat 02 Mar 2013 at 13:24:06 -0500, Mark Filipak wrote:
On 2013/3/2 12:37 PM, Joao Luis Meloni Assirati wrote:
Exactly. Either it was a pertitioning problem, as pointed first by Lisi,
and he does not want to admit; or some other random problem, and in this
case no one will never know or be able to reproduce it because he can't
follow instructions.

It was not a partitioning problem or some other random problem. There's a bug

This is correct.

in the GUI Debian Installer packaged with LXDE desktop, ver 6.0.6. I

There is no bug. You are misinterpreting the evidence.

succeeded simply by running the text-based Debian Installer. No one suggested
that. I just tried it on a lark. You were too busy finding fault.

Your success was not a result of running the text-based Debian
Installer. Forget about it. Try a bit of lateral, or even vertical,
thinking. You may not realise it but substituting the USB stick you
initially used for a USB hard disc is the crux of the matter.

Observation: I'm struck by how some (many?) on this list tell me what I did (like I was asleep) and they're wrong. Please, pay attention...

I did not make a substitution.
1 - I installed Debian Live on a USB flash drive.
2 - I booted to the USB flash drive.
3 - I invoked the GUI version of the Debian Installer and attempted to install Debian to a USB hard disk. - Both GRUB and LILO installation failed (GRUB is automatically tried, and fails, LILO is tried manually).
4 - I invoked the text-based version of the Debian Installer targeted to the same USB hard disk and it succeeded.

Of course, between steps 3 & 4 I had to reboot back to Windows and delete the USB hard disk partitions because deleting them inside the GUI Debian Installer didn't work, so I guess it actually has more bugs, eh? The point is: in both cases (unsuccessful & successful) the source of the install was Debian Live on a USB flash drive and the target of the install was a USB hard disk.
During this debacle, as I stated many times, the GUI installer takes over the
entire screen. I reported what the installer told me when the GRUB installer
failed. I did not know how to access the syslog. You write that I "can't
follow instructions." I never got any instructions. "We can't help you if you
won't tell us what syslog says" is not instructions.

Now that you mention it - what does GRUB report in the syslog when it
fails to install as you described in your very first post? Be daring;
give it a go again, exactly as you related there.

Sigh! How can I read the syslog? Where is it? /var/...blah-blah-blah... or /usr/...blah-blah-blah... or /sys/...blah-blah-blah... - I'm not a Linux user. And, since nothing gets written to the USB flash drive (remember: this Debian Live thinks it's running on CD), how would I find it at all!

Very early on, Joao Luis, you wrote that what I was trying to do was
incredibly complicated and, to paraphrase, I should learn to walk before I
try to run. That was not constructive advice. It's not complicated. The proof
is that I succeeded. Of course, to you that just indicates what a troll I am.
I must have been trolling from the git-go.

You succeeded (which is good) because you changed the install environment.
This neither proves nor disproves anything.

I did not change the install environment. What makes you think I did?