Re: Firefox under Squeeze

Klaus Jantzen wrote:
> I succeeded in installing the release version of iceweasel following
> the instructions on
> http://mozilla.debian.net.
> The version is 10....; is that equivalent to firefox version 18....?

Version 10 is the ESR version.  That is the Extended Support Release
version explained here:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Firefox#Extended_Support_Release

And here:

  https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

The release version should install version 18 which releases every few
weeks.  I forget if it is every six weeks or something close to that.

> After that I tried to install the esr-version of thunderbird (there
> does not seem to be a release version). That did not work as apt-get
> could not find the package.

Released version (currently 18):

  deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
  deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-release

ESR version (currently 10esr):

  deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
  deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-esr

Note the difference between iceweasel-esr and iceweasel-release in
those /etc/apt/sources.list lines.

Just the same as the firefox name is not allowed to be used so is
thunderbird for the same reasons.  You should look for the icedove
named package.

Bob