Re: Chrome and Flash - a problem solved

----- Original Message -----

Same thing happened to me just a couple days ago.  I had left the computer running while I ran some errands.  (It usually runs 24/7.)  When I returned three hours later, no flash!  Nobody had touched the system.  There was no power outage or surge.

As you did, I checked "chrome://plugins" and discovered a NEW occurence of libpepflash.so in .config/google-chrome/PepperFlash in addition to the one in /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash.  It had never been there before.  Adobe Flash was also listed in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins, but it was Disabled as it has been since I originally install Chrome many upgrades ago.  (Google's version of Flash works better in Chrome than Adobe's, at least on my system, but I still need it for Firefox.  So, I keep it.)

I tried disabling libpepflash.so in the .config path.  Didn't work!  I restarted chrome.  Ditto.  I rebooted the system.  Nada.  No flash.  I then moved the entire "local" PepperFlash directory out of the .config path to another directory in my home directory, restarted Chrome and checked "plugins."  The .config occurence of libpepflash.so wasn't listed, but it took a system restart to get Flash working again.

I just noted while writing this reply, that Chrome has recreated the .config PepperFlash directory, but it is empty.