Re: Debian is a translation.

Le 01.02.2013 22:08, Gary Dale a écrit :
On 01/02/13 03:29 PM, Николай wrote:

Hello! Your system is translated on the set of languages. Although each user wants to see the system in their own language, but the disk in addition to its native language has many language packs that 99% of users never will be used. Why not share all of the disk images on the languages​​? For example: if a user wants to have a system in the German language, he is invited to download a disk image with the package only in German. If the user has Russian - only in Russian. So he will be available as a system translated to his native language, and he will not be there to download not translated content systems or programs. I am sure that many of the programs (packages), going to 8 drives with a system not available in my native language! Then why do I download them? I spend time on your system, half of which I later need to be translated? Linux will not be popular, while "not speak" normally in all languages ​​other than English.

Please communicated this message to the entire Linux community. Otherwise, the system will not take or when personal computers in Most of users. Quality and complete translation - the key popularity of any system, whatever it was. Otherwise, even the simplest things are not self-explanatory.

The amount of space taken up by the various languages is small. It's
better to just have the various languages available so people can
download a single installer and choose.

Internationalization has moved most of the language-specific items
out from the binary code that makes up the bulk of the downloaded
installation.

I think he was wondering about default starting language of installation images. Of course, the first question in installer is to ask user's language, but every steps before that is in English. I can understand what the OP means. The reason I can see to not do one image per language is about space on servers.

About the will of making linux coming on most computers... All of us does not share it. In my opinion, well, it would be interesting. But if it does not happen, it does not matter. And when you say "Otherwise, even the simplest things are not self-explanatory." can you objectively say that on the most widely distributed OS, this goal is achieved?

If so, consider asking to enterprises how many teaching the system usages to users costs. What I have seen is that many users just randomly click here and there, and some have problems simply understanding that a screen needs to be powered-on. Then, take a look at windows 8. I would never have guessed how to close a window if I did not see on a forum how to do it before. Just a sample. Computers, and OSes, are not easy to use correctly. As all tools, in fact. Ask about digging to someone who does that all the day, and you may be surprised by all the "obvious" things (for him, at least) you do not know. The difference with computing, is that digging is (far) more than 20 centuries old, when "computing for everyone" is less than 20 years old.

OT:
But thinking about that, I remember that each time I do an update with aptitude (or apt-get), translations for all languages are checked, and when you do regular updates, you spend most of the time downloading those translations. Then, to gain space, sometimes several hundreds of MB (at first run), you will run localepurge.

All of this loss of time and bandwidth (for both server and client, about bandwidth) could be avoided if it was possible to fully remove all unused languages of Debian. I have no idea about the fact it is possible or not...