Re: killing a job

Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> Ok I got the pid of each instance of vlc. but kill +instance number does not
> kill anything, no moe than pkill vlc!!!

If the process won't die then likely it is a zombie.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_process

Zombies cannot be killed because they are already dead.  The most
common reason they haven't left yet is because their parent process
hasn't executed wait(2) upon them to receive their exit status.  In
which case the problem is a bad parent.

Find the parent process id and kill the parent.  In the case of zombie
processes it is the bad parent that is really the problem.

Bob