Re: moving from Kubuntu 10.4 to squeeze

Am Sonntag, 27. Januar 2013 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 16:21:17 +0100, Chris Bannister
>
> <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> > Which is why there are so many derivatives.
>
> Debian is a good distro, but for some users it has got weak spots, that's
> why other distros try to get rid of those drawbacks. No doubt about it,
> those distros than will ship with other drawbacks.
>
> So a hint to the OP:
>
> Are you aware about the packages that are important for you?
> Have you ever read changelogs?
> Is it at all needed to do anything else, than security updates?

My hint to the OP:

Don´t let you be scared off that easily.

I find it funny: There you go interested in Debian to a Debian mailing list
and people tell you to be vary about it.

Yes, Debian might be a bit more rough, or maybe more exactly raw at times,
but then you tried it in a VM already.

In case you do not rely heavily on installing software via software center
(which is available as Debian package as well but I never checked its state)
or some Muon based graphical KDE package installer and upgrader (Muon not
yet packages for Debian) and can make friend with apt-get / aptitude, you
can read a README.Debian here and there, follow debian-kde mailinglist, make
your way onto a shell session,  I see no major issues in case you try out
Wheezy.

Heck, we have users in debian-user-german who do not do all these things and
they also get along. In case of trouble there are these mailing lists and
helpful people on it.

So please, do not let you be scared off.

Debian is a friendly one, definately palatable IMHO for someone who made it
do this list, tested it already and asked some informed questions.

> FWIW, before updating what distro ever, it can't harm to backup the
> stable environment.

Ralf, the OP mentioned he does daily backups.

But of course a backup is important.