Re: Now boots only with obsolete kernel (was: Re: Squeeze assembles one RAID array, at boot but not the other

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 12:10:03 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:
>> > And just noting for the archive readers that in addition to working
>> > through the initrd busybox prompt it is also possible to use the
>> > Debian install media as a rescue system in the case this happens and
>> > can't make other progress.  The Debian installer image has a rescue
>> > mode that will automatically assemble all of the autoraid partitions.
>> > And from there you can chroot into the system and fix things.
>>
>> Now downloading netinstall disk.  I haven't needed an install disk on
>> this system for years and years.  If the coffee shop gets tired of my
>> dowload I should be able to boot my son's Ubuntu live CD and get
>> something running, anyway.

> Hopefully that will get you back to a point where you can then debug and
> recover your system fully.  It isn't done yet.  But it is in recovery
> mode at that time.

Not fully recovered, but usefully booted using an old kernel and initrd
that were still around, undamaged, using an old LILO boot disk.  Essential
services working again.  Symptoms like
    mount: unknown filesystem type 'ext4'
for inessential volumes.  But it is recognising that partition on the
new RAID drive; it just doesn't know the file system and is wisely not
messing with it.

By the way, I was wrong a hwile back.  /boot for squeeze is on the old RAID
as part of the root partition.  But it still boots OL with the 2.6 series of
kernels.

It's the 3.x series that have trouble with this.

Now to figure out what went wrong with the up-to-date kernel (2.6.32-amd64).

-- hendrik