Re: Mic. and softphones [was Voice redirection: from mic. to speakers on wheezy laptop].

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 22:15:30 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

(...)

>> I'm starting to think the problem can be Ekiga itself, because using
>> the same SIP account, with the same headset, going out from the same
>> DSL router and calling the same phone number, in my Lenny system this
>> setup works very well but in Wheezy is impossible to use.
>
> May other OS components cause this? Though I do not know what. :o)

It could be but I can't guess what.

The kernel version? Sure, but sound is working fine from the command line
utilities and also from another programs (e.g., gnome-sound-recorder).

The network card? My Lenny system uses a wired card while the netbook
uses a wireless adapter but I wouldn't give a penny for that argument.

>> In brief: consider testing a different SIP/VOIP program.
>
> I have searched Debian on soft phones and found
>
> ihu (would call sip for me)
>
> linphone - fails to run w/
>
> ALSA lib conf.c:4687:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0 ALSA lib
> control.c:951:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default:0
>
> and
>
> sflphone - calls but I do not here sound though all volumes on ALSA
> mixer were high.

3 on 3 fails. Wow. I love Linux >:-P

> And I saw no more soft phones in Debian from repo.s.

There are more (yate, twinkle) but sadly not available for wheezy :-(

> So far, ekiga is the best option for me, and I would say, most
> comfortable its GUI comparing w/ the above.

Errr, yes. Although I find more confortable/easy to use the old interface.

> But was is bad to me w/ ekiga is - its doc.s do not specify my problem -
> as what is expected to not work and therefore a fix is offered -
>   works for me and therefore the fix works not for me - though the
>   problem is listed by those fix makers but diagnostic is applicable for
>   me and so their solution.
>
> Thus, both modes - mono and stereo, 8/16 kHz work w/ my SB:
>
> $ arecord -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 16000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,0
> -c 1 -r 16000 -f S16_LE -
>
> BTW, as a workaround w/ latency for redirection of my voice (from mic.
> to speakers) :o) Not what I wanted, but better than nothing.
>
> But ekiga does not echos my voice though as I have mentioned in other
> messages - mic. volume reflects my speech.

I've never had Ekiga echoing my voice, that's for sure. And not just
Ekiga but any other capture audio application I can remember. I don't
think this is the default, though, so you will have to fight hard to get
that working for you :-)

>> > . Voice redirection from mic. to speakers (they have mentioned on
>> > simplification of SB circuits - and I believe it is my case -
>> > therefore another mic. type is needed - do not know when - if ever -
>> > I obtain one);
>>
>> http://bit.ly/PEwU5U
>>
>> Google suggests using "jackd" to get this working (mic going through
>> speakers) among other solutions but I don't know if it's worth the
>> effort. In the end, what's your goal for having this?
>
> Sometimes, for singing is good. :o)

Ah, karaoke, yes X-)

> Thank You for link but sends me google start page.

Uh? :-?

Okay, I'll put the long URI (you will have to reconstruct it on your
side):

(search keyword: mic out speakers linux)

<http://www.google.com/webhp?
complete=0&hl=en#hl=en&complete=0&site=webhp&source=hp&q=mic+out+speakers
+linux&oq=mic+out+speakers
+linux&gs_l=hp.3...2187.6675.0.6902.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.les;..0.0...1c.d3pM2VuSJ1E&pbx=1&fp=1&biw=1280&bih=888&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&cad=b>

>> I have in my radar "Jitsi" (https://jitsi.org/), it was an application
>> I've been following very close because I like the fact it's written in
>> Java thus can be used also from a windows system, although still not
>> tested :-P
>
> OK. Thank You. I just would not install software from non-debian repo.s.
> In case I will move it to a VM, then I will try it, though do not know
> when.

Fair, but the problem is that not all the packages are available for all
of the flavours :-(

>> > I guess ekiga people should make a diagnostic tool - that audio/net
>> > problems might be inspected more accurate.
>>
>> Sure. And what is worse, now there is no way to tell Ekiga what input/
>> output hardware device to choose, it has to be done from the GNOME
>> sound applet first :-/
>
> That's what I think is bad in DEs: they develop their software only in
> conjunction w/ whole DE instead of making working standing alone
> functionality - like konsole or kate from KDE, ekiga, evince from gnome,
> etc. Who prevents them from feeding command line parameters to the GUI
> programs - at least?!

Now you say... Ekiga does provide a nice command line debugging tool
(ekiga -d4 &) at least to debug the SIP protocol problem :-)

> I will look for ekiga list - may they will shed some light on the
> problem.

That's a very good idea.

Greetings,

--