Re: [OT] Re: Test Post

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 20:14:13 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Thu 12 Jul 2012 at 10:22:19 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
>
>> Camaleón wrote:
>> > Shouldn't be (or "wouldn't be nice to have", I don't want to sound
>> > too agressive) a dedicated mailing list for this purpose? I mean, for
>> > testing how messages will appear before getting into the real
>> > "dangerous jungle" and don't disturbing "the beasts" (groaar!) :-)
>>
>> That would be a welcome addition to the mailing lists.  Then instead of
>> saying that there are 3,000 members on this mailing list and therefore
>> a level of noise reduction is needed, don't send test messages to it,
>> we could say please send them to the debian-list-test or some such
>> mailing list instead.
>
> A reasonable and right-thinking person knows what the purpose of any
> mailing list is and is aware that posting mails which do not serve the
> purpose of the list is ill-mannered and inconsiderate.

There can be many reasons for users to post a "test" message into a
mailing list (testing the message formatting, testing message reception,
testing a new e-mail address...) and I wouldn't tag them as
"unreasonable" nor "wrong-thinking" but "cautious".

However, I would have added an [OT] in the subject.

> A dedicated list for such people is taking it to far. Especially as it
> has all the flavour of closing the stable door.

Other mailing lists do have it and these dedicated mailing lists are
usually easy to maintain as they take not many human/machine resources.

> I'd suggest vgui-discuss as a suitable test-bed. Or debian-devel for
> living dangerously. :)

A testing mailing list that is not listed as it should (e.g., "ml-test")
would be effectively hidden for people who searches for such a place; it
should be renamed first (of course, I mean "vgui-discuss", renaming
debian-devel could lead to the third world war :-P).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón