"drive already mounted or busy" ... dmsetup routine

I've been having issues with a particular hard drive, where after
a suspend-resume cycle with s2ram, it won't mount:

    # mount /dev/sdb1 /media
    mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /media busy
    # umount /media
    umount: /media: not mounted

So I end up doing the following routine:

    # dmsetup ls

(observe the device uuid's and input those to the remove below)

    # dmsetup remove *********************************************************-part1
    # dmsetup remove *********************************************************

After this I can mount/umount multiple times no problem. But after
every suspend-resume cycle I have to do that dmsetup routine again.

Could this be a hard-drive hardware issue? Or maybe something is
mis-configured? Seems to have started after a dist-upgrade a while
back. I'm able to mount other flash-drives fine without the dmsetup
routine.

TIA for any help,

John

--