Re: Restore point needed

On 07/06/12 15:23, Leo wrote:
We use Linux system till a lot of years in our servers. (www.higiene.edu.uy).
I think - if possible for developpers -, that a "restore point" could be a great step forward.
When I make an : aptitude safe-upgrade, never I will now if I will have same problems or now. If iIhave troubles, I c'ant "revenir en arriere", (come back).

This book explains principles and techniques for data and system backup and recovery:

    http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596102463.do

One approach would be to take images of your system drive (using a live CD, zerofree, dd, gzip, etc.) prior to updates.

I've been using Norton Ghost 2003 for many years for Wintel machines. Be sure to get the 2003 version because it has key features not found in later versions (such as the creation of bootable floppy disks with Ghost):

    http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Ghost-2003-OLD-VERSION/dp/B00006FXML

An ongoing challenge with Ghost 2003 is getting the updates, as it uses their LiveUpdate system and is no longer supported OOTB. Symantec used to have a solution here, but the page is now missing. I have initiated a technical support request:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2007010219171513

HTH,

David