Re: Small xorg?

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 06:29:55PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> Any recommendations for a small, compact version of X (limited features OK) for an old Thinkpad 240X -- max RAM 192MB (design limit.  won't take more.  tried.), 500MHz P3, 800x600 screen--to install Squeeze on?  I'm running Etch and XFCE on it currently.  Want to see if I can install a supported version of Debian with a small window manager without the bloat of a full size X.

I seem to recall that, in the past at least, Damn Small Linux did not
use Xorg.  A quick search tells me it might be Xvesa or Xfbdev, but
you'll need to check for yourself to be sure.

I recall trying to use Damn Small Linux to connect to a remote system
with this command:

X -query myremoteserver

It did not work, which is how I discovered that it wasn't using the X
server that I was used to on other Linux distros.

-Rob