Re: Tools to retrieve images from dead hard drive and/or deleted partitions

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 01:53:01PM +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> >This will be a problem, as you should first image the disk(s) and
> >work from the images, not the physical disk. It is especially
> >important for the disk throwing errors, every read attempt may worsen
> >it's condition. Use tools like (g)ddrescue to make a copy despite
> >read
> >errors.
>
> I know, and am able to understand the "why". Maybe ddrescue or
> another tool is able to build partial images? It would not be the
> panacea, but maybe a little better?
> Buying a HD of more than 1Tb (for (1), for (2) it would "only" be
> more than 500Gb ) is not really an idea I like, HD are not exactly
> what I name cheap.

I think it's doubtful that your friend's 500 Gb and 1 Tb drives are full
of photos.  I just checked my directory of photos and video clips (from
2002 to present) and it's 120 Gb.

If you use photorec, you can tell it which file types you want to
rescue.  This will allow you to ignore everything but photos for now,
and photorec will tell you (if I remember correctly) how much space
those files will take up.  You may find that you have enough storage
space after all.

-Rob