Re: Installing a backported kernel on Squeeze at an early stage.

On Saturday 29 December 2012 11:19:31 Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 6:00 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a problem which I know someone else had recently on the list and
> > there was a (slightly complicated) solution.  But I am not succeeding in
> > finding the thread.  PEBKAC, obviously, since I am sure that it is there.
> >
> > I want to install Squeeze on a box in/on which the on board network card
> > is not recognised in Squeeze.
> >
> > The simple solution is just put a different network in the box
> > temporarily while I install.  But this box is for a present, it is black,
> > it comes without spare blanking plates, and those already there have to
> > be snapped out, and cannot be replaced.  I am not keen to spoil the looks
> > as it is a present.
> >
> > So could any kind soul point me at the relevant thread?  It was fairly
> > recent.
>
> What's the solution to use one of the following?
>
> http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/
> or
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware
>/6.0.6/

Thanks for the answer, Tom.

The driver is free and is in the kernel, just not in the kernel which comes
with Squeeze.  I need the kernel in squeeze backports, 3.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64,
which I know works fine.

Since it is free, it is not going to be in non-free repositories.

For the record, the driver/module I need is atl1c.  But I can't find it
separately to have available during the installation.  I know that someone
posted recently how to install a backports kernel during installation, which
would solve my problem, but I can't find it.  But instructions on how to have
atl1c available, would be equally welcome.

Lisi