Re: var/run and var/lock relative links not being compliant with Policy

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 01:13:35AM +0200, Regid Ichira wrote:
>   Quoting http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=690345#5
>
>     In sysvinit (initscripts), we were obliged to revert back to using
>     absolute links for /var/run and /var/lock in this commit:
>       http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/sysvinit;a=commitdiff;h=0977997
>     due to relative links not being compliant with Policy.  Kind of
>     annoying, since the relative links made it nicer for working in
>     chroots, but there are important reasons for the Policy requirement.
>
> 1. Which sections of Policy disallows relative links?
> 2. What important reasons for the Policy requirement are there?

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s10.5

It's due to the differences in how absolute and relative links are resolved.
The behaviour can be quite subtle.  Think links to links and the special
cases where it can go wrong.

Regards,
Roger

--