Re: Freeze accounts

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 10:23:09PM +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Monday 24 December 2012 20:46:31 David Guntner wrote:
> > I think I missed part of this thread....  Look at what one by one?
>
> The OP is trying to lock a large batch of students (I think 3 or 4 figures)
> out for the duration of the vacation.  Two students have to be left with
> access.  But to lock each of the others out individually would be a big deal,
> and the OP is looking for a method that would enable him to lock them out as
> a bunch.  They all belong to the same group, including the two who still have
> to have access.

This is probably a bad idea for a variety of reasons, but I'll mention
it as food for thought.  Assuming all users use /bin/bash as their
shell:

cp /bin/bash /bin/bash.real
mv /bin/bash /bin/bash.bak

Then change the shell for the handful of valid users to /bin/bash.real

My immediate concern would be that scripts and cronjobs might not run
properly with no /bin/bash available.

-Rob