Re: Preseeding - keyboard-configuration issue

Brian wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Press Down-Arrow to "Help".  Observe the help message, "Display help
> > screens; type 'menu' at the boot prompt to return to this menu."
> > Press ENTER to select it.  Press F3 to select "Boot methods for
> > special ways of using this netboot image".  Observe that at the bottom
> > of the screen is "Press F2 through F10 for details, or ENTER to boot:
> > _" and it is sitting at a command line.  You can type in a full
> > command line manually.  The help hint says that two
> > boot methods are available:
> >
> >   install
> >     Start the installation -- this is the default netboot image install.
> >   expert
> >     Start the installation in expert mode, for maximum control.
> >
> > So ENTER will default to "install".  Typing in "expert" will default
> > to the expert install.  Probably set up as an alias expansion
> > internally.
>
> You were very, very close to a solution when you wrote this. "auto" is a
> boot method like "install" and "expert". All three are labels in the
> syslinux configuration of Squeeze and Wheezy for booting a kernel and
> appending parameters.

Aha!  That explains that very nicely!  All of the pieces fall into place.

> install, expert and auto need to be given at a *boot prompt*. On
> Squeeze and Wheezy pressing TAB gives the kernel command line, not a
> boot prompt. Entering the Help menu does get you a boot prompt.

Yes!  That makes perfect sense now.  And given how much we have dug
through the manual I really sympathize with people less familiar with
it and trying to make sense of it.

> The auto mode documentation goes back to the time of Etch. The splash
> screen at the time displayed only a boot prompt.

I am very often reminded that knowing the history of things arrived
and evolved to the present condition makes understanding it a lot
easier.  Thank you very much for throwing in this very last tidbit.

Bob