Re: LVM devices and symlinks

Neil T. Dantam <ntd@gatech.edu> wrote:
> New (broken) Behavior
> Performing an `lvcreate -L10G -nLVNAME VGNAME` creates:

> 1. New device file /dev/mapper/VGNAME-LVNAME
> (and apparently nothing else)

> Then, lvcreate tries to open /dev/VGNAME-LVNAME, which fails because
> of no symlink with:
>    /dev/VGNAME/LVNAME: not found: device not cleared
>    Aborting. Failed to wipe start of new LV.

Reboot the box after installing LVM.

Based on my empirical sample of two, there's some dependency that I
haven't tracked - and I must admit thought it was related to my weird
installation process - that blocks the symlink creation after installing
LVM but prior to a reboot.

> Also, on a reboot of the machine, the device files end up in the
> original configuration, with both /dev/mapper/VGNAME-LVNAME and
> /dev/VGNAME/LVNAME as symlinks pointing to /dev/dm-N.

Is http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=593375#25 (fixed)
a related issue? It looks plausible to me.

Chris