Re: multiarch - please do not force users to change a running system!

On Sb, 08 dec 12, 13:30:02, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> I am running wheezy. So, if I understood, I have these choices
>
> 1. stay with the old ia32-libs (which content all 32-bit libs) and set ia32-
> libs to hold

Yes, this is another option, but you will get in trouble when (not if)
non-Debian packagers update their packages to depend on newer libraries
than the ones available in the ia32-libs bundle. You might be safe for
wheezy (since it's already frozen), but...

Also, you will not receive any kind of security support from Debian.

> 2. convert to multiarch, get an empty (transitional) ia32-libs package and get
> all needed and new 32-bit-libs from i386.
>
> Ok, I understood. But last question: Does debian make sure, that I get rid
> from the old 32-bit libs included in the old ia32-libs package or do I have to
> search them manually, to get a clean system, without double 32-bit libs?

When you purge a package (any package) all its files should be removed
by dpkg, but sometimes packages generate files on install and don't
clean up on removal[1]. This is usually a bug which should be reported.
If it's severe enough it should be fixed before the release of wheezy.

[1] this does not include files in a user's $HOME and files that contain
user data (e.g. databases stored in /var created by a database
software). If you watch dpkg output carefully you will notice warnings
like "did not remove directory ... because not empty", so that you can
take a look at the remaining files and decide if you still need them or
not.

Hope this helps,
Andrei