Re: How to prevent daemons from starting at boot after update?

On 09/11/12 03:04, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Adrian Fita <adrian.fita@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> update-rc.d <daemon> disable
>>
>> Wow. Could it be this simple?! It certainly looks like it.
>>
>> I'll keep an eye on the next package update. I don't know how I missed
>> this. Thanks!
>
> You're welcome. AFAIK this was added in Squeeze so maybe you were
> looking at a Lenny manpage/howto.

Hello. Still me.

I just did a cups package update (yes, I'm running Debian unstable) and
noticed that the cups daemon was started after the upgrade. And indeed,
looking in /var/lib/dpkg/info/cups.postinst, the daemon is started with
"invoke-rc.d cups start" after every installation. This means that even
tho' I have disabled cups from starting at boot with "update-rc.d cups
disable", it will get started after an update/package reinstallation,
which is not a pleasant surprise to say the least. At the next reboot,
it will not get started, but I'm not rebooting often.

So, I did some research and I found a policy-rc.d implementation at [1].
To prevent the daemons from starting even after package
update/installation/reinstallation, I instaled the Debian package
policyrcd-script-zg2, downloaded policy-rc.d and update-policy-rc.d in
/usr/local/sbin, and run "update-policy-rc.d --set-system-default
disable". There is no Debian package for gpapilion's policy-rc.d
implementation yet, but he's working on a package and I hope it will be
ready soon. I hope this helps other people who are having the same
problem as me.

1. https://github.com/gpapilion/policy-rc.d
--
Adrian Fita