Re: /lib/systemd/systemd-hostnamed hang

On 25.11.2012 16:13, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On 11/25/12, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> $ man systemd-hostnamed
>>> No manual entry for systemd-hostnamed
>
>> The latest version of system has hostnamectl and a man page for
>> systemd-hostnamed.
>
> Sounds good. I'll look out for it.
>
>> Even if you weren't using systemd, you would've had the xterm problem
>> because you removed the standard "127.0.1.1 ..." line from
>> "/etc/hosts",
>
> False assumption. I reinstalled in a bit of a rush, and networking
> didn't get set up as part of installation. So that line never got put
> in by the installer. All I had was the 127.0.0.1 localhost line, to
> which I just added my proper hostname to solve this 'extended delay'
> problem.
>
> Should I put my proper hostname as a separate 127.0.1.1 line instead?
>
>> although I'm not sure how xterm would behave with the
>> hostname known by the kernel being different from the one on the
>> "127.0.1.1" line.
>
> It hangs for 10 to 20s before opening. But only with systemd bootup.
> Today I suspended my laptop, took it off it's dock, put it back on
> dock about 3 hrs later and tried to unsuspend, no go - various usb
> errors spewing. Hard reset, no reboot under systemd (disk checks), try
> again, no.
> Back to /sbin/init, success. Try a final time to check systemd bootup
> - no go on systemd.
> So I'm now stuck back on /sbin/init. Again.
>
> And now, the xterm 'extended pause' does not happen, even if I remove
> my 'proper' hostname from /etc/hosts (so that I cannot ping my
> hostname).
>
> So, I guess it's time to file a bug, somewhere... in relation to systemd

I have the impression you are fiddling a lot with your system without
actually knowing what you are doing and you're breaking a lot while
doing that.

Please only file a bug report if there is actually a valid bug and not
just some misconfiguration.

Thanks,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?